Located in the National Historic District in Harmony, Pennsylvania, and originally the residence of Austin Pearce, a prominent banker, mill operator and railroad executive, the Harmony Inn was Pearce’s Italianate-style home in 1856. The home featured black walnut and chestnut woodwork. It is believed the building also had the first indoor plumbing in the area.
Pearce’s fortunes plummeted when his PNC&E railroad business failed, causing him to sell his home to a member of the Ziegler family, a descendant of the Mennonites. Ziegler renovated the building into a hotel and a saloon and became one of the earliest licensed establishments in Butler County. At the turn of the century, a two-story wing was added to the original structure.
Known at the time as “The Ziegler Hotel,” the Zieglers operated the hotel for many years. After the family sold the hotel, The Harmony Inn went through several owners and was known by several establishment names such as “Manor House” and “Harmony Hilten.” In 1985 Gary Barnes and Carl Beers purchased the Harmony Inn, replacing the rough and tumble of the saloon with the first craft beer bar in Butler County.
Soon thereafter, Bob and Jodi McCafferty were drawn to the vibe of the Harmony Inn, where their paths eventually intertwined. Bob and Jodi McCafferty bought the Harmony Inn in November of 2013, continuing the tradition and quality, and providing a place for more stories to be created.